Rising Artists Fellowship Program
The Southwestern Association for Indian Arts (SWAIA) and Heritage Hotels and Resorts Proudly Announce
The 2014 Nativo Lodge Rising Artists Fellowships
Deadline: October 31, 2014
This call for proposals is for local Native American artists working in all mediums. While we are looking for emerging Native artists, we encourage all levels to apply. You do not need to be a Santa Fe Indian Market artist to apply.
This is an artist-in-residence fellowship where two Native American artists will each transform a guest room into a work of art. The resulting large-scale installations offer hotel guests a unique opportunity to experience contemporary Native art in a very intimate and personal way - an overnight stay in the artist designed room.
Over the past two years, six artists have transformed six different guest rooms in the Nativo Lodge in Albuquerque. Heidi Brandow, Nanibah Chacon, Rhett Lynch, Ehren Kee Natay, Rose Simpson, and Jake Fragua have all created unique guest rooms in the hotel, see: http
The Rising Artists Fellowship is designed for Native artists to explore their creative process and push the boundaries of their respective art forms and creative expression. The Fellowship Includes:
- $3000 stipend: $1000 advance for materials; $1000 during the work process and $1000 after work has been completed
- Lodging at the Nativo for up to two weeks during the residency
- Open studio periods where guests and staff can visit and observe the artist and the room transformation in progress
- A group exhibition and art show (fellows may show and sell other artwork) and reception on January 30, 2015
- 4 images of current work
- Artist statement
- Concept drawing(s) of the proposed room design
For more information on Heritage Hotels, Nativo Lodge at