De Vargas Middle School
1720 Llano Street, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
- Academic Programs offered at De Vargas are taught through a combination of traditional and thematic units which are designed, implemented and assessed through projects, tests and research projects. In Math, 7th grade students have the opportunity to be enrolled in algebra and 8th graders will have the opportunity to take geometry.
- In addition to core subjects, students are given the opportunity to take classes in physical education, computer technology, yearbook, art, band, chorus, drama, orchestra, AVID (established for 7 years and a goal of being a national demonstration site), and Spanish for Native Speakers.
- Our Life Skills class and Positive Behavior Support classes help students develop skills to become successful in their future.
- Students have the opportunity to participate in football, volleyball, girls’ and boys’ basketball, track and cheer.
- De Vargas offers extracurricular activities beyond sports such as: Yearbook Club, Conquistador, GUTS (Growing Up Thinking Scientifically), Natural Helpers, SWAT, First Serve Tennis/Tutoring Program, Battle of the Books Program, the annual SFPS Spelling Bee (English and Spanish), and Magnify After-school program (academic and homework tutoring, art, soccer, international studies and cuisine, ping-pong, and chess club).
- In an effort to increase literacy, 7th grade students are required to read a minimum of 700 pages a year and 8th grade students are required to read 800 pages a year. Students will be rewarded through our Accelerated Reader incentive program.