El Camino Real Academy
3160 Agua Fria Street, Santa Fe, NM 87507
About El Camino Real Academy
Grade Levels Served:Pre-K - 6
El Camino Real Academy is a multicultural community oflifelong learners, preparing for meaningful contributions in an ever changing world.
In the community of learners we INSPIRE. Individuality, Nurturing the whole being, Skillful thinkers, Pride in Self, languages, and cultures, Imagining the Possibilities, Respect for all, Excellence.
Our School’s Operations and Functions
El Camino Real Academy Academic Programs Include the following:
- English Language Strand and Dual Language Strand Highlights of the English Language Program:
- Students will learn to read, write and communicate in English
- Students will achieve high levels of academic success in English
- Students will participate in hands-on learning and integrated learning experiences
Goals of the programs:
- English Language Strand
- To have high academic achievement in English
- To develop a high self-esteem, positive attitude and strong identity through the use of the English language
- To develop cross-cultural thoughtfulness through multicultural education that emphasizes the understanding, acceptance and appreciation of other cultures
- To strengthen parental involvement through literacy activities and events
- To foster a proactive community that advocates for our programs and education and supports resources in the community
- To promote overall community participation
What is the Two-Way Dual Language Enrichment Program?
It is a program in which native English speaking children and native Spanish speaking children work together to become bilingual, biliterate, and bicultural. The goal of this program is to promote bilingual proficiency, high academic achievement, and cross-cultural awareness in all students. Ideally, there is a 50/50 balance between English and Spanish speakers in the Two-Way program. Instruction is provided in English and Spanish every day. Native English speakers and Spanish speakers will become proficient in a second language while still developing their first language. Students serve as native speaker models for their peers. Everyone is invested in each others’ success.
Goals of the One Way and Two Way Dual Language Enrichment Programs
- To meet or exceed grade level academic goals in Spanish and English
- To promote bilingualism and biliteracy through the strict separation of the languages of instruction (Spanish and English).
- To develop a high self-esteem, positive attitude and strong identity through the use of the heritage language of the community (Spanish).
- To develop cross-cultural thoughtfulness through multicultural education that emphasizes the understanding, acceptance and appreciation of other cultures.
- To foster a proactive community that advocates for our programs and education.
Dual Language Education Strand Benefits of the Dual Language Enrichment Program:
- Research has shown that students enrolled achieve higher academic success in both languages
- More job opportunities are available to bilingual and biliterate adults
- Students are literate in their own language as well as a second language
- Develop greater cultural sensitivity and better communication skills
Why Our School is Unique:
El Camino Real Academy is located in the heart of the historic Agua Fría Village, right on the famed “Camino Real”, the oldest road in America. Our children’s futures begin here at our school, starting in Kindergarten and continuing through 6th grade. Agua Fría is dedicated to the respect of culture, literacy, bilingualism, responsibility, discipline, creativity and the uniqueness of each individual. A highly qualified staff works collaboratively in a literacy rich environment to ensure a powerful learning experience for each student. Our goal is success for each student and our promise is to make this possible.
- Dual language Programs – Two-Way Program - 1 Class at each grade level - Kindergarten-6th grade
- One-Way Program – Approximately 2 Classes at each grade level - K-6
- District Elementary School Medically Fragile Program
- Full Inclusion at sixth grade
- Implementation of the Roadrunner Way – 5 Finger
- Agreements: Encouragement, Personal Responsibility, Respect, Cooperation, and Safety.
- El Camino Real Academy created a Curriculum Alignment Plan that is used for weekly and unit lesson plan development.
- Majority of Teachers have been GLAD Trained – Guided Language Acquisition Design
- Our school has the highest number of bilingual endorsed teachers (17) and we have the highest number (409) of students placed in a bilingual program.
We have created a Data Base to analyze our site’s DRA/EDL reading assessment scores that is currently being refined.