Palace of the Governors
105 W. Palace Ave., Santa Fe, New Mexico 87501
Originally constructed in the early 17th century as Spain's seat of government for what is today the American Southwest, the Palace of the Governors chronicles the history of Santa Fe, as well as New Mexico and the region. This adobe structure, now the state's history museum, was designated a Registered National Historic Landmark in 1960 and an American Treasure in 1999.
Exhibits, collections and archives at the Palace of the Governors reflect the Spanish colonial (1540-1821), Mexican (1821-1846), U.S. Territorial (1846-1912) and statehood (1912-present) periods of History. The collection consists of more than 15,000 catalogued objects, many of which were donated to the Museum of New Mexico in the 1970's by the Historical Society of New Mexico.